Harrogate BID is a non-for-profit organisation funded for by businesses to improve the area in which those businesses trade within. The BID is dedicated to maximising Harrogate as a destination and to empower businesses to tackle local issue.
Harrogate BID has 5 key aims:
1. Promotion, Marketing and Events
2. Access and Car Parking
3. Safe, Clean and Welcoming
4. Business Plus
5. Evening & Night-Time Economy
Harrogate Street Ranger Job Summary:
This reactive and pre-planned operational, public facing role is critical in the delivery of the Harrogate BID Business Plan. Working closely with BID Levy Payers, Local Authorities, North Yorkshire Police and other influential organisations within the Town to keep the area safe, attractive and a great place to be. This role will be a key element in creating an area clean, attractive, welcoming and safe to all.
A positive, can do attitude is vital.
Pre-planned works – through an online portal you will have a sea of tasks, logged by BID colleagues, businesses and yourself, to respond to. Some examples, but not limited to, would be daily hot spot areas to jet wash/disinfect, weeding and tidying key areas, painting and upkeep of street furniture, removal of graffiti tags, jet washing businesses entrances/outside areas, weekly inspections to collate reports, watering of planters and flower beds, repair damage to levy payers properties within reason.
Reactive works – through a consistent and uniformed presence on the streets of Harrogate town centre you will already know the ‘hot spot’ areas of the town but on a daily basis will receive a ranging number of requests, from businesses, to ensure the BID area is as presentable and welcoming as possible. Some examples, but not limited to, may be removal of graffiti, reactive cleans and disinfection, removal of items and waste, winter gritting, reporting issues to partners such as the Local Authority or North Yorkshire Police to ensure a proactive/prompt response.
Safe & Welcoming – you will have a keen eye for detail. You will not be afraid to get your hands dirty getting involved in a range of projects whether this be identifying Anti-Social Behaviour, reporting/reacting to a street cleansing issue or using initiative to propose future improvements to Harrogate. You must be adaptable, working together with other key organisations for the good of the town. Experience in using online portals to log issues would be an advantage.
Business liaison – As a key member of the Harrogate BID team you will engage with BID levy payers. The BID wants to offer a fantastic team, returning investment and adding value to Harrogate and we would expect you to have good communication skills and a passion to deliver first class information on all the vital campaigns the BID is delivering.
Other example essential responsibilities:
• As a uniformed presence on the street to act ambassadorial – signposting and welcoming people as appropriate
• Hold a driving licence and be comfortable using low level equipment/machinery
• This role will, at times, be physically demanding and will require working in all weathers
• Reporting daily information over the town centre radio scheme
• Performing ad hoc, allocated business visits, dealing with enquiries as they arise or referring these onto the relevant person/organisation
• Assisting in the identification and reduction of business crime and anti-social behaviour improving the perception of the town centre as a safe place in which to be.
• Distribution of literature on behalf of the BID as required.
• Strict attention to personal responsibilities in the areas of risk management and health, safety and welfare, both in terms of self and others.
• Supporting other key BID projects such as Events, Christmas etc
• Advise when properties are vacant / new occupancy
Ideally you will very much be a ‘doer’ with good communication skills and a positive can do attitude. You may have experience in a trade, facilities or another hands on role while taking great pride in your professional and personal appearance with great people and problem solving skills. You will be the type of person willing to ‘don many caps’. Within this role we are excited to meet the right type of people so do not require any official qualifications although please do share any you feel appropriate.
Terms and conditions:
Location –Harrogate BID area, a small amount a travel maybe required for training.
Salary – £20,000-£22,000 including pension scheme
Working hours – 40 hours per week, working 5 days over 7 likely to be Monday to Saturday. This will be on an equal, agreed shift pattern likely to start and finish within the times of 8:30am – 5pm. The role could involve some early morning/evening work agreed in advance to support the town.
Reporting to – BID Manager
Contact and how to apply:
Please send Cover Letter and CV to email@example.com with the job title as the email subject.
If you would like more information please do ring the BID office 01423 582030
The closing date for this role is Monday 27th September at 5pm with interviews available to work around the applicant’s availability.